Our aim is to make renting a property though us as straight forward and simple as possible. We want happy tenants who look after the property as if it were their own.
If you have already inspected one of our properties and would like to live there...
Steps to renting a property...
- Decide what you are looking for in a property - the essentials and non-essentials. This could be the type of property, location, number of bedrooms, weekly rent, if you have pets etc.
- Have all of your documentation and references ready before you apply (listed below). Credit checks can take up to 15 days to receive so this is something best done beforehand.
- Research and find a property you are interested in viewing.
- Do a drive-by of the property. Have a look at the neighbourhood, the exterior of the property, and if applicable, work out how close public transport is.
- INSPECT the property - call or email the Peter Lees office and book a time convenient to you to inspect the property. Please note that you must have inspected the property before your application will be processed.
- Submit your application via email, post or in person to the Peter Lees office. Make sure you have attached all the relevant documentation and references.
- Advise your references that they may be called and ask that they return any calls promptly - this will ensure your application is processed as quickly as possible
Documents and References - what you will need in order to apply
- Current credit check (no more than 60 days old) from Tas Collection Services or Veda (if you have lived outside of Tasmania at all during the past 12 months);
- Contact name and details of your current and previous property manager or landlord (whether private or agency)
- Evidence of employment (payslips or bank statements) as well as a contact name & number for your employer
- Proof of affordability if you are currently receiving Government allowances/payments (Centrelink statement)
- 1 Personal and 1 Professional referee - contact name and number (must not be a relative or friend)
- Photo ID (drivers licence, passport, student ID, keypass)
- Medicare card or Concession card
How we process applications...
As soon as we receive an application we will double check all of your details to ensure that your application has been completed correctly. Presuming that all is correct, we will contact your referees and following that, present your application to the owners of the property. It is the owners decision as to whether your application is approved.
In most instances we are able to provide you with feedback on the progress of your application within 48 hours and advise you by telephone if you have been successful. If we are unable to contact all of your referees or you have not provided the appropriate documents, this process may take longer.
Once you have been approved...
- Within 24 hours of being approved, all lease-holders and approved occupants will need to sign the Lease Agreement with your Property Manager. Your Property Manager will go through your tenancy agreement and condition report, explaining both the tenant and owner responsibilities and expectations. This is a great opportunity for you to ask any questions! You will be required to fill in and sign a direct debit authority for future rental payments at this time.
- You will need to pay your Security Deposit (equivalent to 2 weeks rent) which can be paid via bank deposit.
- At the time of signing the lease, you will need to sign a Bond Form and pay your bond (equivalent to 4 weeks rent) at Service Tasmania (make sure you take your completed Bond Lodgement form with you). This will be sent to the Rental Deposit Authority on your behalf.
- Also at the lease sign you will schedule a time to collect the keys to your new home on the 1st day of your lease.
- Key Pick up - When you are collecting the keys, you will be given 2 copies of the condition report (One for your records, and one to be returned to us within 48 hours, noting any discrepancies).
- You have a new home!! You can move in!
* Please note, it is your responsibility to connect your services when you rent a property and also to close/pay your final account three days after you vacate the property.
What you can expect from us...
- You are our tenants, without you, we wouldn't have a business. We will NOT treat you as a second-class citizen.
- It should go without saying, but we will ALWAYS treat you politely and with respect. If you feel this is not the case, please let us know and we will follow up immediately.
- Appropriate notice periods for all inspections as detailed in your lease.
- We will act on any maintenance requests from you promptly and take action to resolve this as the level of urgency demands.